Saturday, May 2, 2009

A New Chapter in Big G's Life




Well, I moved out baby clothes a couple days ago and it's a good thing because we now have another bike in the garage. Big G learned how to ride a two wheel bike without training wheels today! So exciting. Last year we purchased a bike with training wheels. We got him one that was a bit bigger, thinking, "He'll grow into it." We never imagined him learning to ride without training wheels so soon because frankly, I don't remember learning so early. I know I was at least in Kindergarten before my brothers launched me down a huge hill and said, "Just go!" I learned, but I was very frightened and because of that I would have never even tried Big G so early. But, his friend Z learned last weekend and Big G has been on a mission to accomplish this task as well. Well, off went his training wheels on his bike yesterday and low and behold he was able to balance and ride, but his bike was just too big, he couldn't put his feet down to catch himself. But, God is so good on how He provides. We were cruising the neighborhood this morning and our neighbor was selling her grandson's smaller two wheel bike for $4.00. Big G was so excited, he ran home and asked daddy if it was ok to buy it, and daddy agreed only if he had money to pay for it himself. So thanks to some Easter money from family, he ran back and made his big (small) purchase. By the end of the day, he was cruising up and down the sidewalk having a blast! I wanted to grab some pictures of him right after dinner before it got dark, so that is why he is without his helmet in these shots. So, a big day here for Big G, and me. I always wondered if I could teach him to ride a bike w/out training wheels. Praise God it didn't take too long AND we are grateful to Z's Grandma Gardy who inspired these young boys to take the risk and learn. Check out the video below.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Way to go G! You are growing up so fast! We are so proud of you. Sending you big hugs and kisses from your cousins in Cali. xoxoxo

mary said...

Did they really push you down a hill? I had to go down the big hill at Marsh, down some stairs, then manuever through those cement thingys in the parking lot. After all that I went home, hid in our closet and cried! Fun times!

Unknown said...

Gabriel- you are one little amazing boy. Isn't riding a bike fun and exciting? Just think how much fun you and Z are going to have this year riding your bikes around the neighborhood and taking bike rides with mom and dad and little G. I love you, Aunt Angie

p.s. - Mary and Anne, were your bike riding experiences really that bad? Debbie pushed me down St. Louis and I ended up falling off the curb into the street - I think she enjoyed the end results.